Dhal Curry (පරිප්පු ව්යාංජනය)
A Sri Lankan dal (dhal) curry is easy and quick to make. This is a unique dal flavored with coconut milk, curry leaves and spices. It’s vegan, gluten-free and high in protein.
Dal or parippu is a staple in Sri Lankan cuisine. It’s such a simple dish but packed with flavour. It can be eaten with rice and curry, roti, naan or with toast; my husband’s favorite. It pairs with any carb.
If you are familiar with Indian dal, you’d be surprised to know that this dal is prepared the same way but with different flavors. We use coconut milk and temper with curry leaves.
- Red lentils – Masoor dal/daal/dhal
- Ginger, garlic
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Milk
- Spice powders (turmeric, chili, cumin, coriander)
- Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds
- Start by rinsing the lentils. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- In a pot combine the dal, water, onion,tomato, spice powders, garlic,salt and bring to boil. Cover and cook until all the water has evaporated and the dal is cooked.
- Add coconut milk, extra water and simmer.
- We add a tempering to the the dal to bring more flavor. Heat a small non-stick pan and add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dried chili pieces. Heat until the mustard start to splutter.
- Add this tempering to the dal.